Sunday, November 25, 2012

Wedding......Colorado style!

Jim and I were invited to his cousin's wedding in Colorado in September.  I blogged about the weekend prior, but wanted to wait to blog about their beautiful wedding until I had a chance to talk about our CCD class about marriage.  I wanted to talk a little about this wedding because it touched me so deeply.

The groom was Jim's cousin. There is a fairly large age difference between Jim and his cousins on his dad's side, because Jim's dad and his brother are something like 10 years age difference. So, when I met Greg, Lisa, and Mike, they were all little people running around -- sitting on Santa's lap and such. It's been fun to watch them grow up from being the cutest kids to being absolutely amazing adults. 

Their parents taught their kids to be go getters, reach for their dreams, and think independently (pretty sure that's why they would never listen to me and go to OSU :).  This has proven to be an awesome game plan for all three of them -- with the exception (for me) that they now live all over and we don't get to see them as often as we would like!

Greg and his sister Lisa had both been dating people for a little while (how would I know how long?  LOL).....when one weekend I got a call that little Greg (haha!) had gotten engaged to the beautiful woman he had introduced us to at Christmas, Cat.  I couldn't believe it!  How exciting that they were getting married.

A week or so later, I ran into Ed at Subway one day and he told me he had something fun to tell me.  When I asked what it was, he said that Lisa had gotten engaged as well!!!  Well, goody!

These two both grew up near us, but chose to have destination weddings as they were getting married in the cities that they now called home (is it called a destination wedding then?)  Lisa was getting married on Labor Day weekend in Seattle and Greg two weeks later in Colorado. 

One look in our checkbook and around at our kids quickly made up our minds that we would only be going to one of the two weddings.  We talked it over with the rest of Jim's family, who all agreed that we would divide and conquer.  It ended up that Jim's brother went to the Seattle wedding (which I heard was beautiful!) and Jim's mom, brother and his wife, and Jim and I would go to the wedding in Colorado.

Silverthorne is a newer town -- a ski town that is growing at a very rapid pace.  Because of that, they were building a brand new Catholic church in town.  With any luck, the church would be done for Greg and Cat's wedding (which it was).  They did finish a little later than expected, though, so although it wasn't planned that way -- Greg and Cat's wedding was the very first wedding to take place in the new church.

We drove past the day before to get our bearings and figure out where the church and the reception was.  We noted that it was at the foot of a mountain -- with a gorgeous Rocky Mountain backdrop.  Breathtaking.

When we arrived at the church on Saturday, we got our first glimpse inside.  What we found was a BEAUTIFUL church -- with a beautiful crucifix as the centerpiece of the altar.

However, the sheer beauty of the church could not have prepared us for the beautiful ceremony we were about to witness.  Not having been around Greg and Cat much, I had not had the opportunity to watch their love grow -- but let me tell you, it was beautiful to watch them express their vows before God and all of us.  I always tell people that I LOVE to see the groom see the bride come down the aisle and see the huge smile come over their face (and Greg certainly didn't disappoint -- it was as if his nerves calmed down as soon as he caught sight of his beautiful bride!).

The thought that they gave to every little detail of their wedding was so impressive -- they left no stone unturned.  However, the thing that touched me most -- dare I say brought a tear to my eye (surprise!) -- was at communion.  Greg was given the body of Christ, and then the blood of Christ -- but then took the cup, and, as his first gift to Cat as his wife, gave her the blood of Christ.  What an awesome gift!  In the end, Greg distributed the cup to his family/side of the church, and Cat did hers.  What a fantastic idea! 

To me -- starting out your married life so ingrained in your faith can only prove to make your commitment to Jesus and each other that much stronger.

The reception following the mass was equally well-thought out.  From the beautiful talks from Greg and Cat (they are right -- we DID want to hear what they had to say about the wedding!) to the nice gesture of handing the bouquet (as opposed to tossing it for any random person to catch) to the next bride to get married.  What a beautiful day!

(As a side note -- the appetizers, dinner and dessert were fabulous.  And while Margaret and I loved trying a few new drinks, we LOVED the water that was on the table at dinner.  I don't know if it was fresh spring water or not -- but I drank a LOT of it and would have bottled it and brought it home if I could have!)

And in case everything else I've written doesn't help you to think this is a beautiful couple, here is one of their wedding photos.  Absolutely breathtaking!


Congratulations Greg and Cat! 
 
 
He's come a long way from the little tyke I met so long ago -- but one that has grown into such a wonderful human being.  And, since likes attract, married someone equally as wonderful as him.  I absolutely cannot wait to see what life brings the two them.  One thing is for certain -- there will be lots of adventures!

2 comments:

  1. My pleasure, Greg. May the two of you always be as happy as you were on that beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete