Friday, September 20, 2013

Paying It Forward....sometimes it IS the little things!

I love the concept of Paying It Forward......Lord knows that there were certainly times in our lives that Jim and I needed a little nudge to keep moving it forward, and He was always there in one way or another to help  us along.  With that in mind, we try to pay things forward whenever we can.

We are by no means rich, so our version of paying it forward doesn't usually involve new homes, or cars, or even new wardrobes.  Our version is just enough to hopefully put a smile on someone else's face.  Oddly enough, it is usually people we don't know.

Our biggest source of paying it forward is on toll roads.  Generally, when we go through the toll booth, we pay for the car behind us.  If Jim is driving, we speed ahead and don't really get a good look on the faces of those that we just paid for.  I'm not looking for a thank you -- in fact, we do try to stay ahead so that that doesn't happen -- but I do like to see the surprised looks on people's faces when they realize we paid their toll (which we do get to see if I'm driving :) ).

So recently, I went to Aldi's to pick up a few things.  Actually, I knew about exactly what I was getting and had already decided I wasn't going to mess around with getting a cart, because I didn't want to dig a quarter out of my purse.  (For anyone unfamiliar with Aldi -- they are a discount grocery store and one of their claims to fame is that you put a quarter in the cart to detach it from the other carts -- with the idea that people will return the carts easier to get their quarter back.  And, I must say -- it works!)

Well, as I approached the store, a woman came to me and offered me her cart.  I thought, "Ugh, I don't want to dig a quarter out!"  Just that quick, she mentioned to me that she didn't want anything for it, as someone else had given it to her.  I decided that when I was done, I would give it to someone else.

OK, I thought, I'm supposed to have this.  So, I grabbed the cart and went on my merry way.  I got outside, looked around, and, as luck would have it -- there is no one for me to give my cart to!  Being the quick thinker that I am :) -- I just put it back with the other carts and didn't attach it, so the next person wouldn't have to pay the quarter.

By the time I got to my car and put my items in the back seat, I noticed a woman approaching the carts.  I hadn't planned on staying to see who got "my" cart, but thought I would watch and see if she took it.  She was so cute!  She tried to put her quarter in, and when it wouldn't go in, pulled the cart out.  She looked around to see if she was doing something wrong, smiled, and went on her way.

Something so small, but her day was made!  So cute!

I've decided to add this to my list of Pay It Forwards.  Maybe three carts each time.  Such an inexpensive way to make people's days.

How do you pay it forward?  Feel free to share your ideas.  I'm always looking for fun things!

No comments:

Post a Comment