Saturday, June 25, 2011

Feast of Corpus Christi

Well, Sunday is the Feast of Corpus Christi.  Are you ready to celebrate?  Do you have your cake baked?  Your candles ready??

You don't?  Why not?  It's a great day!!!  :)

I have to admit, that I need to work on my solemnity days.  I know the biggies -- Christmas, Easter, Ash Wednesday, Pentecost, etc., but some of these other days I am learning about. 

We went to a different church than normal tonight -- with a different priest, and a different deacon.  I love to switch it up sometimes -- it's like anything, you get out of your normal habit and things appear differently. 

After I stopped smiling watching the dad in front of us teach his son not to do the sign of the cross before the Gospel, but rather bless his forehead, lips, and heart (Jesus, be always on my mind, my lips, and in my heart) -- which made me smile -- I listened to the Gospel, and then the homily.

Now, I have to admit that I LOVE the priest at the church we were at -- so, I was a bit disappointed when he didn't preach tonight.  It seems that almost every time we go there, the deacon is preaching!  I always find it interesting, though, that the deacon always touches my heart in some way.

I want to back up a bit.  Earlier this week, Harry and I went to a weekday mass.  We primarily went because it was for my mom and dad, but I really do like to go to weekday mass whenever I can (and I actually can more than I do.....).  We had a different priest, there, too, because our priest is travelling.  I love Father Hoying -- he does his job with such joy and always with a smile on his face.  A few years ago, when Sarah was doing her Girl Scout Gold Award, he donated a vestment to the people of Grenada.  We had Harry try it on and take pictures so that Sarah could show it in her project.  We often show him the picture of him being a "priest".....with the hopes that one day it could come true!  He has spoken of it on more than one occasion.  :)  We'll see where the Holy Spirit leads him, but we keep him in our prayers as well!

But I digress.  I had no idea that this weekend was Corpus Christi when we were at mass this week.  Of this you can be sure.  However, I had a really interesting thing happen to me during mass.  When I took the Eucharist, and then the Blood of Jesus, I felt as if I was taking it for the first time all over again.  I don't really know how to explain it other than it was as if I had never had them before.  I do try to appreciate my time when I know that the Body of our Lord is physically in my body, but this was different.  It was appreciating the texture of the Eucharist all over.  And the flavor of the Blood.  It was a really neat experience.

Tonight, the Deacon was speaking of the Solemnity of Corpus Christi (which is, if you aren't familiar, the Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ).  It's a time for us to reflect on the fact that each and every time we receive the Eucharist at mass, we are truly receiving the Body and Blood of our Lord, Jesus Christ.  How easy that is for us to overlook.  I always lick my lips when I am done receiving, to be sure to get every drop that I have received.  How awesome of a gift is it that we are able to receive this gift each time we attend mass (and even at some prayer services!).  I think I've mentioned before, but sometimes I worry when I am distributing that people don't realize (I'm sure they don't) the beautiful gift they are being given.  I see hands just thrown out, or people grab the host, etc.  I just pray for them and hope that their heart will realize over time what a gift they are being given!

As the Deacon mentioned tonight -- have you ever wondered what it is like to experience heaven?  Because you do each and every time you receive the Eucharist.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment