Sunday, September 11, 2011

Forgiveness....

Here we are, 10 years after the 9/11 attacks, remembering and memorializing all those who both lost their lives (and friends and family), and also those who saved lives or risked their lives for those who were hurt that day.  I am probably one of the few in the United States who really actually knew no one on any of the planes that day, or in any of the buildings.  I do have one friend who was supposed to be on the flight out of Boston, but changed her plans at the last minute.  Ironically, she worked at the Pentagon, and wasn't there, either.  I am pretty sure that would be a "God Moment".

I was very touched this morning listening to the readings.....every one was about forgiveness.  Have you forgiven those that took all of those lives on 9/11/01?  I think what I heard this morning was a great explanation.  Deacon Greg stated that forgiveness doesn't mean that we approve of what they did; but rather, it means that we are willing to move past this.  Jesus says so many times in the bible to forgive.  One of the most famous forgiveness requests was, "Do not forgive your neighbor 7 times, rather 7 time 70 times!"  He means to just do it!  Forgive them.  Because forgiveness eventually builds us back up and helps us to get past the situation.

We may never understand why they did what they did that day.  I've heard the explanations hundreds of times, but simply cannot understand how anyone, of any faith, or belief, or anything, could believe that by killing others they will receive great favor.  I'm working on it, I just don't get it.

I remember what I was doing on 9/11/01.  The twins were almost 2 months old, and had been home for a couple of weeks.  I was rocking one of them in the rocker and had just turned on the tv when my jaw dropped.  I, like many others, initally thought that it was an accident, but would be wrong.  What I remember so vividly is the people running down the street with the clouds of smoke chasing them.  I felt like they were in a war zone.  It was so scary.

What were you doing that day?  It seems almost everyone remembers.  But better yet, have you forgiven?  If not, why not?

I sat in the stands at the football game the other night and watched as two rival teams played each other.  At halftimes, I watched the bands from these two schools get together and play a beautiful patriotic tribute to our great land.  And all I could think was, "I am so proud to be an American.  God bless the USA!"

No comments:

Post a Comment