Wednesday, April 11, 2012

F.A.M.I.L.Y

A few weeks ago, I read an essay that my niece wrote about our family.  In it, she mentioned that basically she wasn't quite sure what it was about our family, but we were different, and she liked it.  It was very well written and (I know this will surprise you if you're a regular reader) it brought me to tears.

This past weekend was Easter.  A time to mourn Jesus' death and then celebrate his rising from the dead, and new life!  Traditionally, we have gathered with my side of the family on Easter and this year was no different.

As the grandchildren get older, we miss a few more each year as they have more celebrations to attend to.  We understand, yet we still miss them.  It isn't complete without everyone there!

At Christmas, we made a video to post on the internet to make everyone missing feel included.  We attempted the same at Easter, but somehow it wasn't quite the same......instead we burst into fits of laughter.  Judge for yourself:






I have to say that it's moments like these that I miss my parents the most.  Would they have been embarassed that we were doing such things?  Would they have told us to stop?  Absolutely not.  In fact, they probably would have been first in line!

I love that our parents taught us to be who we are and celebrate that fact.  Not put on airs, or be who others wanted us to be or act like.  I'm really comfortable in my own skin, and relish the fact that I (and the rest of my family -- except those hiding out in the car in the background :) ) can just be....us.  :)

I hope we are raising our children to cherish family as much as we do.  No matter what, no matter where, they are there.

I hope your Easter was just as fun!

He is risen!

PS I used the acronym F.A.M.I.L.Y. above because I love it so much -- if you haven't heard it before, it stands for Forget About Me, I Love You!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment