Sunday, January 15, 2012

An invitation

Some days, waiting for an invitation to an event you cannot wait to go to seems to take forever.  A wedding, a party, or some days, just an invitation to go to coffee with someone are all it seems to take to make our days go a little better.

In mass this morning, I kept hearing the word "invitation".  In the readings, the homily, it was everywhere.  I couldn't help but be struck by the fact that I jump at "social invitations" (as mentioned above), but somehow, when it is something God wants me to do, I have to think a little harder about it, and sometimes don't accept the invitation! 

Why is that, do you think?  Why is it so hard for us to accept an invitation from God?  Sometimes it's because we think we know what is best for us, and what we are hearing as an invitation is not necessarily what we want to do at the time.  I know that is very true for me.  I realize, know, and understand that God has a beautiful plan for me, and my life, but sometimes I'm afraid to trust it!  I think it's my need for control.  By turning everything over to Him, I relinquish control.

These thoughts were churning in my head today when the responsorial psalm started......."Here I am, Lord, I come to do Your will."  Geesh, God, will you stop hitting me over the head with this stuff!  I got it!  I just need to sit back, relax, and listen.

So, I've been thinking.  And re-evaluating.  Last year, I posted a challenge on my Facebook wall to think of one word you would like to do this year to change your life.  Kind of like a New Year's resolution, only hopefully something that will change many aspects of your life.  I had a word picked out for this year, but am going to change.  Possibly because I was being hit upside the head with it today. 

My new word is:  listen.  I will listen more to what God is saying to me.  I will make an effort to listen more closely to my kids and husband and what they are REALLY saying to me.  Listen.  Listen.  Listen.!  It's going to be very hard for me -- because sometimes the listening part -- especially to what God is trying to tell me -- takes much longer than I want it to.  Because it's in His time.  But I'm going to listen!

What about you?  Do you have a word you want to use to change your life this year?  What is it?  How will it make a difference in your life, and the lives of those around you?

In honor of vocations awareness month, I would be remiss in not suggesting you listen to see if you hear God's call -- to be a priest, deacon, nun, mom, dad, whatever.  Sit back and listen.  Really listen.  Maybe he's still whispering his plan to you!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Pam, I needed this today. ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great message.....most of us don't listen because He doesn't usually answer on our time but on His.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re-reading this this morning and remembering my need to LISTEN -- and as Shelly said, on His time. He has a plan.....we just need to wait for it to be revealed.

    ReplyDelete