Thursday, August 16, 2012

Feast of the Assumption

Today was the Feast of the Assumption.  A holy day of obligation, meaning a day we are expected to be at mass.

Christmas we all understand.  Easter we all understand.  But sometimes, feast days like today are not readily understood.

Father's homily tonight was so spot on and I loved it.  He was discussing Mary's life, especially in light of being Jesus' mother.  Can you imagine that?  I still get stuck on the part where the angel came down and asked her to be His mom.  Oh, my gosh!  How exciting!  But wait -- I'm not married -- what will people think?  I am not worthy of this!  Who am I to be asked to do this?

I saw something on Pinterest the other day that caught my eye -- it was interesting that Father discussed this exact thing tonight.


It really piqued my interest when I saw it.....but Father discussed how we get caught up in wealth, fame, and possessions and many time leave behind what's MOST important -- our faith.  Jesus never cared about any of that stuff (even though I would have to say he's pretty famous!).  Most certainly Mary and Joseph never aspired to great wealth.  

It's really an interesting concept -- to live as Mary did -- go about doing your business, living your life.  I TRY to do that, but must admit that at times I fall prey to those things above -- always wanting "more".  I certainly don't think that we live an extravagant life by any means, but at times....  :)

I wanted to touch tonight a bit on the "Assumption" vs the "Ascension".  I hear these words get transposed occasionally and wanted to offer some definitions:

 The Ascension refers to our Lord's bodily entrance into Heaven on the fortieth day after Easter. It is described in Acts i: 1-14, and is mentioned briefly in Mark xvi: 19-20 and in Luke xxiv: 50-53. Although the Scripture uses the words "He was lifted up," we use the word "ascension," which suggests something done under one's own power, for Jesus Christ is God and is all-powerful.
    The Assumption refers to the taking up, body and soul, of the Blessed Virgin Mary at the end of her earthly life. In this case the word indicates that she was taken to heaven by a power apart from herself. The Assumption is not recorded in Sacred Scripture, but there are several extant writings including one by St. Melito of Sardis, who died in the second century (see "Apropos"). Sometimes called the "Dormition," or "falling asleep" of our Lady, the doctrine has been acknowledged by the faithful both in the east and in the west since the earliest times. It has been the subject of many of the Fathers and Doctors of the Church, gives its name to numerous churches in their dedication, and is celebrated liturgically on August 15th. On 1 November, A.D. 1950, Pope Pius XII declared:
    "We pronounce, define, and declare it to be a divinely revealed dogma: that the Immaculate Mother of God, the ever Virgin Mary, having completed the course of her earthly life, was assumed body and soul into heavenly glory."1


From:  Here

Thought that was interesting and that I would share.

Hope your week is going swimmingly!  We are gearing up for another CCD year, so we'll start discussing that soon.  Almost back to school time.  Hug your kiddos close -- soon they will be gone all day!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment