Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The end.....

.....of a fantastic summer!

♫ Tomorrow, tomorrow.....is only a day away!!!  ♫

Tomorrow is the first day of school.  It's hard to believe!  This has been one of the best summers we've had in a long time....from traveling to New York, Boston, and Michigan, to various camps, and fair, and lots and lots of family.....I've loved it all.  Or at least most of it :).

We spent the last few days celebrating.  My original plan at the beginning of the summer was to take a day every week and do something fun or educational or at least something besides laundry and cleaning.  LOL  We did do a few outside activities -- we did a little geneology tour one day (through cemetaries -- don't judge it was hot and I bought them ice cream!)....Harry had a fun afternoon with the good folks at Crown seeing their video department and seeing the "other side" of what he's doing at home.....

I tried and I tried all summer to get a day that would be good to go to Sidney and visit/watch Duane in Municipal Court.  Well, it took until last Friday, but we did it!  Emily was not able to go with us (starting to be a theme here!), but everyone else went.  It was an interesting day and the kids learned a lot.  They saw people go to jail because they failed drug tests, they watched people lie to the court (that part surprised me!) -- even when it was apparent they were not telling the truth....they saw people truly sorry for what they had done and got to witness what happens when you truly make a mistake and are sorry for it.  It was a great tour.  I did mention to them that this was the ONLY time I wanted to be sitting in a courtroom with them!  It was so funny -- there is a metal detector that you have to go through before you enter the courtroom.  Here I came in with my big ole purse, and my camera, with my keys and my phone in my pocket.....and I made the detector beep.  LOL  I started taking the things out of my pocket when I explained to the lady that I was Duane's sister.  I told her if I really wanted to take him out that I could do it any time....I knew where he lived.  LOL  She laughed and waved us through!

Duane was so gracious and gave the kids a neat history lesson when they were done listening.  There is so much history around us...



My little defendant

Order in the court!

A precious photo

We decided to take a group photo before we left.  I hope my kids cherish this for years to come!

Clearly Abby is in charge.


We followed our exciting morning with the only lunch alternative I could come up with -- we went to The Spot for lunch!!  My mom used to take us there after shopping at Uhlman's.  It was fun to take the kids!

Waiting on lunch in the corner booth

Sarah:  Mom, count to three and then take the pic!  
1, 2, 3!  Surprise!  A kiss for Will!  <3

We spent the balance of the weekend celebrating with our town at Bremenfest.  Sorry, no pictures -- I was having fun!  :)  I was not around on Sunday, parade day, as Becca and I took Sarah back to the University of Dayton to start her sophomore year.  (As an aside, I am amazed at how much easier it is to drop your sophomore off than your freshman.  I guess it's because I now realize that she WILL come back to visit, and with that, she WILL bring home large piles of laundry every time!  Yay for laundry!  Love her and miss her -- but I hope she has an amazing year at college!

School starts tomorrow -- for all of our kids -- even the college one -- so dinner will be fun tomorrow night -- to hear the stories about friends old and new, teachers, and whatever else appears at the dinner table.  

Did I mention Will will be in band this  year?  He's taking percussion.  Lord help me/us.  I already warned Mr. Yahl to put me on speed dial in case he gives himself a concussion with his drumsticks!  It really was fun to go to instrument fittings for him this year.  Many of Emily's friends were helping, and all wanted him to play "their" instrument.  It was fun for Will, too!  :)

Here's hoping everyone's school years are awesome.  Here's a little prayer I found that we are going to say tomorrow morning before everyone departs:

Prayer for a New School Year 

Spirit of God, fill our hearts with a desire to seek truth and rejoice in beauty.
Help us to know what is pleasing to You and to understand what is right and good in Your sight.
Give us the Spirit of Learning that we may please You by our thoughts and love You in Your creation.
Give all teachers Your constant encouragement and guide them in their good work.
Spirit of God, make us effective witnesses of Your truth to all whose lives we touch. We ask this in the name of Jesus the Lord.
Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment