Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's a Hallmark holiday.  And, to a certain extent, that's true.  But, I do love Valentine's Day.  Why, you ask?  Well, sometimes it takes a day for us to sit and appreciate who we love in our lives!

I love my husband, my kids, and my family every day, not just Valentine's Day.  Yet, there's something special about doing little "extras" today that I might not otherwise.  Even if it's a heart-shaped meatloaf, it's still a fun day to celebrate.

I'm not 100% sure how true this story is, but I thought it was interesting and I would share: 

Claudius the Roman Emperor was having trouble getting men to serve in his army so he passed a law which did not allow any more marriages. (Single men were more willing to go off to war) Valentine, who was a minister who did not support the new law, was caught performing marriage ceremonies secretly. Jailed and sentenced to death, many young people came to visit Valentine. One was the daughter of the prison guard. On the day of his death Valentine wrote a note to the daughter signed "Love from your Valentine". This was on February 14, 269 A. D. Allegedly
To this day people send St Valentine love poems, but the St title is usually dropped and called poems for valentines, love poems for valentines day or valentine verse. Some are serious love poems but it is common for the young to send funny valentine poems.

So, even though today is a "Hallmark holiday", I hope you still take the time to do a little something special for your sweetie, or your family, or your friends.  Everyone likes to hear sometimes how much they are loved and appreciated!


Until next time........
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment