Sunday, November 6, 2011

Today, I'm thankful for.....

Our priests.  Funny story from today -- a couple of our girls stayed at my brother's house last night (in McCartyville).  It had been a while since we had gone to church there, and Fr. John asked me a couple of weeks ago when we were coming back.  So, we thought today should be the day! 

Even with the time change and a few less people to get out the door, we were still cutting the timing close.  But, I had my heart set on going to mass at McCartyville, so off we went.

We walked in (during the first song, of course), and my heart sank.  Where, oh where, was Fr. John?  I looked on the altar and there was Fr. Kyle Schnippel, a priest, originally from Botkins, but whom is now the Director of Vocations for the Archdiocese.  I know Kyle, and generally love Kyle's masses, but was so looking forward to Fr. John's mass, my heart sank. 

And then it began.  The readings, the gospel, all proclaimed by readers and McCartyville's excellent deacon. 

Fr. Kyle took the podium for the homily.  And my heart changed -- he is always an excellent homilist, but today's was extraordinarily good.  I love a homily that makes me think -- even after mass -- and his did just that today. 

I'm still sorry we missed Fr. John this morning (and even more so when I figured out why -- he left for a tour of the Holy Land today -- with my brother and others....I had my weeks mixed up and didn't realize they were leaving this morning!) -- but God is always good.  Fr. Kyle had just what I needed today.

I always say that's what I love about the Catholic faith -- it doesn't matter where or when you go to mass -- it's basically the same (at least the same format) wherever you go.  And sometimes, just sometimes, the unexpected turns out to be a wonderful thing.  As it was this morning.

Thanks to Fr. Kyle, and all of our priests and bishops who provide liturgy, among other things, to help us celebrate the life of our Lord -- and give us the fuel to help us bring His word to the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment