Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Happy 3/16 day!

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

I heard a challenge on Klove this morning for everyone to share this and thought it was neat.  The kids talked at dinner tonight about what a neat week it's been, with Pi Day (3-14), the Ides of March (3-15), 3-16 day today, and St Patty's Day tomorrow!  How fun!

It did bring up the discussion of how Al Gore a few years ago was trying to quote the bible and started talking about John 16:3, reversing the chapter and verse of the famous bible quote we see at so many sporting events.  I have always been struck by the irony of the actual verse he quoted: 

"They will do this because they have not known either the Father or me."

One of the many reasons I don't quote the bible without reading directly from it.  :)

I have never known the bible well, but am working on it.  It's one of my goals for 2011, to become more familiar.  I know enough to be dangerous!!!  :)

Tonight's CCD class was about Parables -- what they are, why they exist, and, continuing on our quest to compare and contrast the writers of the Gospels -- what are the similarities and differences in the parables in the different books.

I have been working with the book of Luke this session -- it's been what I talk about in these big groups.  Tonight, we looked at why there are parables, concentrating on Luke 8:9-10......

"Then his disciples asked him what the meaning of this parable might be.  He answered, "Knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of God has been granted to you; but to the rest, they are made known through parables so that 'they may look but not see, and hear but not understand.' "
 
We discussed the parable of the sower and how that relates to our faith -- how if you have rich soil, but do not water it or fertilize it, or have rocky soil to begin with -- nothing will grow.  And so it is with our faith.  If we do not feed or water it, it will not grow.  I used the sports analagy -- to get really good at a sport, you have to ______(practice) -- and so it is with our faith.  We must practice it to get better at it, or understand it.  I think they got it!  The other guys were talking about the other writers in the bible.  I really like this class, and think the kids do, too -- at least they SEEM interested!  LOL

I hope your week is going well.  It's Wednesday!  Have a great Thursday!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment