Wednesday, March 2, 2011

How did
                                        "A sower went out to sow his seed. And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path and was trampled, and the birds of the sky ate it up. Some seed fell on rocky ground, and when it grew, it withered for lack of moisture. Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew with it and choked it.  And some seed fell on good soil, and when it grew, it produced fruit a hundredfold."   Luke 8:5-

turn into "Thorn bush, thorn bush, thorn bush, fruit."??????

Remember that game of telephone you used to play when you were a kid?  Where you would whisper in someone's ear, and they would whisper to their neighbor, and so on, until it got to the end of the line and the last person would say what they heard?

Well, we played that game tonight in CCD, in an effort to show that the bible, while written by people who either witnessed events occurring in the bible, or spoke with people who did, are sometimes telling the same story, but we hear/read something entirely different.

We started by telling a group of kids the story (above) and then had them return to their groups and pass that story around.  I knew my group was in trouble the minute the second kid's story was MUCH shorter than what was read.  LOL

In the end, we had 4 stories.  I chose the thorn bush one to tell because it was the funniest tonight, but also because it seems to echo what we do when we tell a story, pick out what we think is important and then pass it on.

Matthew, Mark, Luke, John.....

Four men, writing about the same things, but sometimes saying different things.  Sometimes not even telling a story at all, as in the birth of Jesus (do you know which Gospel(s) doesn't include the story of the birth of Jesus?  If not, look it up -- or ask your kids!  They can tell you.  If you really want to know, ask me and I'll clue you in.

Four men, writing from very different perspectives, about the same things.  And yet we hear different things from each one.

It was a VERY interesting class tonight -- one I wish we could can.....the kids appeared to be very into this, and trying to learn about each Gospel -- or at least the one they were in charge of.

By the way, if your child is in our class -- their assignment is this:

1.  To tell you about our class, and help you learn.  :)
2.  To ask the Easter bunny for a Catholic Youth Bible (or their choice of bible) if they need a new one.
3.  To consider using the bible as part of their lenten promises.  :)

Cool class, cool kids.  Love the other teachers.  I am blessed.

Until next time,
Pam

4 comments:

  1. John! I learned that in Theology the other day. If only I remembered what the other three books were called/referred to as...looking it up now...the synoptic books [because they all have roughly the same stories].

    I really like your blog, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, you have captivated me with your blog. I love reading how you are working with your CCD class. I always valued the religion classes of the boys grade school days and even in High School however, I think a bit more innovation and creative thinking would have gone much further particularly when they question...I think questioning is good but teens need to feel there questions are at least heard before they can open their ears to the answers. It appears you are doing a great job of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ang ~

    I'm sure your boys got a great education as well. The point of this is not to say that others are not doing well, or that we are perfect; that is not my point at all.

    One of my thoughts is that people "our age" really got cheated a little out of learning about our faith....and I've learned (and am still learning) as an adult. And, the more I learn, the more I want to share! :)

    Lots of teens question...I questioned....I think if we don't we should wonder why we aren't.....and to be able to ask is a gift. :)

    Thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete