Friday, March 25, 2011

So, I have a secret.  I wasn't totally honest with my family today.

You see, today is the feast of the Annunciation, or the day that Mary was told by the angel Gabriel that she would carry the Savior of the world.  And she said yes!!!  Kind of like the first pro-life day -- ever!!! 

So, a few years ago, the Catholic Bishops determined that whenever there is a feast day on a Friday during lent, that the resrictions for meat are lifted for that day.  Meaning, because today is the Annunciation, technically we could have eaten meat all day. 

So, oopsies......I forgot ;) to tell my family, and we suffered through a no meat Friday anyways.  Why?  Well, first of all, to me, no meat Fridays are much more than "no meat".  We're so used to eating meat without thinking of it that to go without makes us think all day to be conscious not to eat it.  To me, that's a big part of lent.  Thinking about what we are doing.

I remember a few years ago when St Patrick's Day fell on a Friday.  Now that, I kinda understood -- some just have to have their corned beef on St Patrick's Day.  Not I, but some.  :)

But somehow, it didn't seem as if there was a reason to eat meat on this particular Friday.  We all survived the day.  Even without meat!

So, I'm coming clean and telling you I lied to my family today.  Because I did. 

But I'm ok with that.  :)

Happy Annunciation, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment